About Me

My photo
Hey everyone! I'm studying abroad in Italy this fall and will be recording all the awesomeness here in my blog! I'm studying at the Trinity College in Rome program located right in the heart of Rome-a few blocks from the Colosseum! I hope to travel all over Italy as well as venture into other parts of Europe. Stay tuned!

Saturday, February 4, 2012

About my blog name and URL


So, about my blog name and URL. soles occidere et redire possunt is a Latin love poem written by a 1st century B.C. Roman poet by the name of Catullus. The line translate to "Suns are able to set and return". This is the fourth line of what is known as his fifth poem.

vivamus mea Lesbia, atque amemus,
rumoresque senum severiorum
omnes unius aestimemus assis!
soles occidere et redire possunt:
nobis cum semel occidit brevis lux,
nox est perpetua una dormienda. 
da mi basia mille, deinde centum, 
dein mille altera, dein secunda centum, 
deinde usque altera mille, deinde centum.
dein, cum milia multa fecerimus,
conturbabimus illa, ne sciamus,
aut ne quis malus invidere possit,
cum tantum sciat esse basiorum

Which translates into English as:

Let us live, my Lesbia, and let us love,
and all the rumors of more severe old men
let us value at only a penny!
Suns are able to set and return:
when once the short light has set for us,
one perpetual night must be slept by us.
Give me a thousand kisses, then a hundred,
then another thousand, then a second hundred,
then immediately a thousand, then a hundred.
Then, when we will have made many thousand kisses,
we will mix them all up so that we don't know,
and so that no one can be jealous of us when he finds out
how many of kisses there were.

I choose the soles line as my blog name and ABriefLight as my URL because I loved what those lines really mean. Suns are able to set and rise again, they can have many lives, millions. But we, mere mortals, have but one brief light, and when that light is set for us and we die, one perpetual night must be slept by us. I think it really reminds us that we only have one short life to live and so we need to take every moment for all it's worth. I think choosing to use this poem  really speaks to some of my philosophies about life. We do only have one life, a mere 100 years or so on a planet that's seen billions. It can make you feel really insignificant. But I think that this poem really highlights the importance of cherishing every moment. We need to live our lives with no regrets. And never for a second should we settle for something just because the alternative is "to hard". We have but one brief light before our perpetual night, it's up to us to live it for all its worth.

1 comment:

  1. Well,I just start to read Thomas Eliot's poem.
    But this one by Catullus is brilliant!

    ReplyDelete