About Me

My photo
Hey everyone! I'm studying abroad in Italy this fall and will be recording all the awesomeness here in my blog! I'm studying at the Trinity College in Rome program located right in the heart of Rome-a few blocks from the Colosseum! I hope to travel all over Italy as well as venture into other parts of Europe. Stay tuned!

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Getting around…


 So, the first time someone ever rides a subway should probably not be in a foreign country right? That would seem like a logical piece of advice. But, unfortunately there’s not a lot of subways in Iowa (ha funny…) or much public transit of any kind really so, in fact, the first time I ever rode a subway WAS in a foreign country. Ok, in reality it was all fine, I didn’t get lost, didn’t get pickpocketed, and everything went 100% perfectly, but STILL. It’s hard enough trying to read the subway map in Italian, let’s make it even harder by it being the ONLY subway map I’ve ever tried to read.

 All of this was for my first walking tour class this morning. Here at Trinity some of the classes consist of two parts, a 50 or so minute lecture class at the convent on one day, and then a 3 hour walking tour around the city on another day. I absolutely love this concept because it really lets you learn while being out and part of the city, but it does necessitate getting to the meeting points your professor specifies. And the professor is not going to meet you at the convent, no, you will have to travel to whatever location her or she specifies as the start of class, be it around the block or 40 minutes away. And of course, my first walking tour’s location start was in a subway station 2 stops away. All in all though, I guess it could have been worse. The nearest subway station is only a 5 minute walk away and from there it was only 2 stops. I was with 4 other girls who were in my class and all of them had taken the subways back home countless times. It took us only like 25 minutes to get to the meeting place and it really was easy. It’s still just a little funny to me that the first subway, and really the first public transit I ever ride is in a foreign country.

No comments:

Post a Comment