About Me

My photo
Hey everyone! I'm studying abroad in Italy this fall and will be recording all the awesomeness here in my blog! I'm studying at the Trinity College in Rome program located right in the heart of Rome-a few blocks from the Colosseum! I hope to travel all over Italy as well as venture into other parts of Europe. Stay tuned!

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Evolution of Beauty


I ran across a picture of Marilyn Monroe today and looking at I was struck by how our standards of beauty can change so drastically. Don't get me wrong, I think she is gorgeous, but there is no denying that if she were a model today she would be "plus size model". Monroe is called by some the "original sex icon" and it's obvious why. She had a stunning face, gorgeous figure, alluring smile, yet by today's standards she would be considered "thick".

I then started thinking about how much what is considered "beautiful" has changed over the course of the centuries. Just in western civilization alone, the last 1000 years has seen such a dramatic change in what was consider beautiful.

1400-1500s

 1600s


1700s


Early 1800s

Late 1800s
1900s
1910s
1920s

1930s
1940s
1950s
1960s
1970s
1980s

1990s

Today

Notice a shrinking trend? Of both body weight and fabric amount. And then there's the standards from other cultures, practices that seem completely barbaric to us but were/are the standards of beauty in their own culture. 

Warning graphic pictures!




















Foot Binding
Neck Elongation
Body Mutilation 

Obviously the definition of beautiful is not a universal thing. It makes you wonder where standards of beauty come from and how they evolve. Obviously they evolve dramatically, but how their change and progression is influenced is a truly interesting question. 


1 comment: